IN A NUTSHELL
1 February 2020
1 to 12 months
3-6 months prior to departure
February to November
Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and surrounds
- Academic and Cultural Integration
- Assistance with settling in
- Dedicated Program Coordinator
- Pre-Arrival virtual meeting with Traveling Scholar team
- Optional excursions and field trips
- Orientation upon arrival
- Weekly meet-ups (Check-ins)
- 24/7 in-country support
Based on the student’s requirements
Community Engagement or Service Learning, also known as Community Service in South Africa, is a unique activity which combines learning with activities which often benefit others and the community. Traveling Scholar’s community-based service activities are paired with structured online preparation before you arrive, as well as student reflection while participating in the program.
Our service learning offerings have one goal in mind: to make a difference.
We want those participating in any of our service learning offerings to return home a changed person, having left a little bit of joy behind in South Africa. Having placed students at community projects for more than 20 years, we know that Africa will leave an indelible mark on those who give of their time in communities who have seen some of the worst aspects of humanity. Our offerings further provide you with opportunities to develop civic engagement skills, gain additional cultural competencies and enhance your group, organisational and interpersonal skills.
You can participate in the following service learning projects:
- Inner city homeless feeding projects;
- Children’s orphanage;
- HIV/Aids Children’s Haven;
- Wildlife conservation centre;
- Animal shelters;
- Old Age Home;
- Rural Development and Empowerment projects; or
- Projects focused on environmental sustainability; health; and education.
You will also be asked to participate in a fundraising campaign for the relevant service learning project that you are placed at. Service Learning projects are available for a minimum period of 1 month to a full-year commencing anytime of the year.